On this week’s Education Gadfly Show podcast, William McKenzie, a senior editorial advisor at the George W. Bush Institute, joins Mike to discuss the state takeover of Houston ISD and its crusading new superintendent. Then, on the Research Minute, Amber discusses a study that finds a Los Angeles public school choice policy increased academic achievement.
- “What Mike Miles can do to transform Houston ISD” —William McKenzie
- “Texas revamps Houston schools, closing libraries and angering parents” —New York Times
- “Texas Education Agency will take control of Houston ISD in June” —Texas Tribune
- “What does Gadfly say?” —Fordham Staff
- Christopher Campos and Caitlin Kearns, “The impact of public school choice: Evidence from Los Angeles’ Zones of Choice,” National Bureau of Economic Research (August 2023).
Feedback Welcome: Have ideas for improving our podcast? Send them to Daniel Buck at [email protected].