On this week’s Education Gadfly Show podcast, Bellwether co-founder and Virginia Board of Education member Andy Rotherham joins Mike Petrilli, David Griffith, and Amber Northern to discuss Virginia’s newly-approved history and social science standards. Then, on the Research Minute, Amber examines how test-based and non-test-based measures of teacher quality affect student outcomes.
- Virginia’s new standards: “Standards of learning for history & social science” —Virginia Department of Education
- Andy’s blog on education policy: Eduwonk
- “After months of controversy, Virginia approves new school history standards” —Washington Post
- Fordham’s most recent report on history and civics standards: “The State of State Standards for Civics and U.S. History in 2021,” by Jeremy A. Stern, Ph.D., Alison E. Brody, José A. Gregory, Stephen Griffith, and Jonathan Pulvers
- The study that Amber reviewed on the Research Minute: Benjamin Backes et al., “How to measure a teacher: The influence of test and nontest value-added on long-run student outcomes,” CALDER Working Paper (April 2023)
Have ideas for improving our podcast? Send them to our producer Nathaniel Grossman at [email protected].