On this week’s podcast, Patrick Wolf, Distinguished Professor at the University of Arkansas, joins Mike Petrilli and David Griffith on the fifth edition of our Research Deep Dive series to discuss the impact of voucher programs—both on participating students and on kids in nearby public schools. Also check out our other deep dives on teacher effectiveness, school discipline, school closures, and urban charters.
Recent studies on school choice programs mentioned on this episode:
- Anna J. Egalite, Ashley Gray, and Trip Stallings, A Comprehensive Evaluation of the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship Program, Reports 1–7, North Carolina State University (2017–2020).
- M. Danish Shakeel, Kaitlin Anderson, and Patrick Wolf, "The Participant Effects of Private School Vouchers Across the Globe: A Meta-Analytic and Systematic Review," EDRE Working Paper No. 2016-07 (May 2016).
- David Figlio and Krzysztof Karbownik, "Evaluation of Ohio’s EdChoice Scholarship Program: Selection, Competition, and Performance Effects," Thomas B. Fordham Institute (July 2016).
- Jonathan N. Mills and Patrick J. Wolf, "Vouchers in the Bayou: The Effects of the Louisiana Scholarship Program on Student Achievement After 2 Years," Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis (February 2017).
- Megan Austin, R. Joseph Waddington, and Mark Berends, "Voucher Pathways and Student Achievement in Indiana’s Choice Scholarship Program," The Russell Sage Foundation journal of the social sciences (March 2019).