On this week’s Education Gadfly Show podcast, Crystal McQueen-Taylor of StudentsFirstNY joins Mike Petrilli and David Griffith to discuss the battle royale to lift the charter cap in New York City. Then, on the Research Minute, Amber looks at the effects of closing and restarting low-performing schools as charter schools in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
- “Charter school expansion faces tough fight in New York” —New York Times
- “Proof that charters benefit all public-school kids” —New York Post
- “Because they can: Governor Kathy Hochul’s charter school proposal is modest—so why are teachers’ unions and state legislators so determined to stop it?” —City Journal
- Still Rising: Charter School Enrollment and Student Achievement at the Metropolitan Level —David Griffith
- The study that Amber reviewed on the Research Minute: Whitney Bross, Douglas N. Harris, and Lihan Liu, “The effects of performance-based school closure and restart on student performance,” Economics of Education Review (June 2023)
Have ideas for improving our podcast? Send them to our producer Nathaniel Grossman at [email protected].