- You’ve got to appreciate just how dedicated the folks at News5 in Northeast Ohio have become to the topic of graduation requirements. Here is at least the third story in the last two months. In it, at getting kids to the highest possible graduation bar and preparing them for their next academic step. Of course, three kids is an anecdote and not a trend. Nor does it do anything to disprove Aaron’s quoted two-in-five statistic. But all that detail is probably just me being churlish. (News5, Cleveland, 11/21/18) In nearby Stark County, the on-time graduation status of the Class of 2019 in Northwest Local Schools is top of mind. The story is a little light on details, but my back-of-the-envelope math says that . There is only the vaguest of hints as to what the district is doing to help their students get there. (Canton Repository, 11/19/18)
- If I may continue to be churlish (quelle surprise, I hear you say), I assume that a lot of folks in Akron and Stark County districts are rolling the dice on an extension of the “temporary”, non-academic graduation pathways from 2018 to 2019 for their kids. of such a move this week, while painting those pathways in a rosy hue using words like “earned” and “diligent” and “readiness”. (Toledo Blade, 11/20/18)
- For the record, those school officials gambling on their kids’ graduation options and the editors enabling them may indeed get a hard eight winner via legislation. But those folks via lame duck legislation before the end of the year will probably crap out. (Cleveland Plain Dealer, 11/21/18)
- that changing the state’s report card should be the last thing on policymakers’ minds. There are a lot more pressing issues to be dealt with in education first. I won’t quibble that their list is different than mine. (Columbus Dispatch, 11/20/18)
- Outgoing Auditor of State Dave . 1,577 pages of them. (Cleveland Plain Dealer, 11/20/18)
Did you know you can have every edition of Gadfly Bites sent directly to your Inbox (in case you want to relieve yourself of uncertainty and sign up for such a thing)? Subscribe by clicking.