- . Yay! Aaron and Chad explained things pretty clearly, but the two district supes interviewed on the matter were not impressed. Stop the presses, amiright? (Dayton Daily News, 9/13/22) Speaking of which, . Reading this version of the presentation from the MJ, you can be forgiven for thinking that everything is good. Like, singing and dancing good. (Morning Journal, 9/13/22) And while , these data are not presented until after some lengthy whining about ODE, the history of HB 70, and the long-departed Paolo DeMaria. The singing and dancing are here but relegated to a brief comment at the end. (The Chronicle-Telegram, 9/13/22) Meanwhile, getting back to our report, the of the gist of that report—you know, the throughline about a “moral obligation to help kids in low-performing schools”—although I’m not entirely sure they read it thoroughly beforehand. (Marietta Times, 9/13/22)
- In other news, . He knows the nuances and the question marks to look for and explains them all to the DDN. The Ohio School Boards Association’s legislative director? He knows to say that “report cards are just a snapshot”. No matter how they are configured. (Dayton Daily News, 9/13/22)
- Let’s change gears and see what’s going on in our classrooms these days. Anyone who knows me knows that I love a good time travel story (although I am told it is not real science as it is typically put forward in the media). Thus I like the setup of this STEM project at Chamberlin Hill Elementary in Findlay City Schools. But (Findlay Courier, 9/12/22) , as described here for a class at Marlington High School in northeast Ohio. That editor’s note was a late add to the story, BTW. Good thinking. (Canton Repository, 9/13/22) As a diehard nerd myself, I will also suggest that . (Cleveland.com, 9/14/22) On a somewhat related note, buried in this mundane coverage of this week’s meeting of the elected board of Cambridge City Schools is the note that (whose requirements were they and why would you waive them?) and discussed seriously the proposal for a senior trip which would be a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas. (Daily Jeffersonian, 9/14/22)
- Moving over to the private school world for a moment, this lengthy piece looks at , including Core Knowledge being implemented at Partnership Schools in Cleveland. (National Catholic Register, 9/12/22) Meanwhile, the Columbus Dispatch persists in its belief (see what I did there?) that . (Columbus Dispatch, 9/13/22)
- Speaking of school choice (were we?), about where parents stand in the traditional education hierarchy. (Columbus Dispatch, 9/13/22)
- Finally today, at the conclusion of this school year. He has led the district for 11 years. (WKSU-FM, Kent, 9/12/22)
Did you know you can have every edition of Gadfly Bites sent directly to your Inbox? Subscribe by clicking.